Using Keywords correctly on your website and in your blogs is essential. Keywords are important for your website. It helps those that look for businesses like yours find you, but keywords shouldn’t be overused. The key to keywords is that they should appear at important places in the right amounts.
Keyword density is always expressed as a percentage of the total word content on a given web page. If you repeat your keywords with every other word on every line, then your site will likely be rejected as an artificial site or spam site.
The keyword density standard is between 3% and 5%. This helps search engines reconize the keywords that are important. So accordingly, make sure you never exceed it.
Suppose you have 100 words on your webpage (not including the HMTL code used for writing the web page), and you use a certain keyword five times in the content. The keyword density on that page is got by simply dividing the total number of keywords, by the total number of words that appear on your web page. 5 divided by 100 = .05. Keyword density is a percentage of the total word count on the page, multiply the above by 100, so that is 0.05 x 100 = 5%
This general rule applies to every page on your site. It also applies to not just to one keyword but also a set of keywords. Those keywords relate to the different products or services you offer.
Simple steps to check the density:
- Copy and paste the content from an individual web page into a word-processing software program like Word or Word Perfect.
- Go to the ‘Edit’ menu and click ‘Select All’. Now go to the ‘Tools’ menu and select ‘Word Count”. Write down the total number of words in the page.
- Now select the ‘Find’ function on the ‘Edit’ menu. Go to the ‘Replace’ tab and type in the keyword you want to find. ‘Replace’ that word with the same word, so you don’t change the text.
- When you complete the replace function, the system will provide a count of the words you replaced. That gives the number of times you have used the keyword in that page.
- Using the total word count for the page and the total number of keywords you can now calculate the keyword density.
The keyword density should always be between 3% and 5%.
Concerned about your keyword usage? Let LeadUp Solutions help you with the key to keywords. Our experts will do the keyword and indexing work to optimize your web presence. Visit LeadUp.Solutions for more info.